Brisbane Building Efficiency Program
The City of Brisbane passed the Building Efficiency Program ordinance in December 2019. It requires most owners of commercial, industrial, and multi-family buildings 10,000 square feet or larger to file energy and water benchmarking reports annually with the City starting on May 15th, 2021.
The City has a “Roster of Buildings” posted on their website. It lists the buildings that are affected by the ordinance.
The ordinance includes
- Industrial buildings
- Government buildings, except Federal buildings.
- “Historic’ buildings
- Individual buildings in strip malls that have 10,000 square feet of gross floor area.
- Buildings that did not have a Certificate of Occupancy for the entire year
- Building that did not receive energy or water services for the entire year
You are not required to report to the City if:
- Your building is owned by the City and less than 2000 square feet
- Your building is privately owned and less than 10,000 square feet
- Your building is a one-or two-family dwelling
- Your building is a multi-family dwelling with four or fewer units
- Your building is a condominium
- You have a demolition permit for your entire building, or your building is scheduled for demolition and can be documented to the satisfaction of the Department
The building owner or owner’s agent must use the EPA ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager system to prepare and submit the benchmark report. The EPA offers training videos and guides on how to use the system, or you may hire Pegasus Energy Benchmarking for a nominal fee.
There are no reporting fees to be paid to the City of Brisbane. However, failure to comply may subject the owner to non-compliance fees as specified in Section 1.16 the Brisbane Municipal Code which can administer fines of $100 to $500 for violations.
Pegasus Energy Benchmarking can prepare the report and file it for you. Just call Charles at 415-497-3090 or email him at Charles@PegasusBMS.com. Our fee is only $345. Your satisfaction is guaranteed.
Pegasus is an ENERGY STAR Partner and a Veteran-owned and -operated business.