Los Angeles Existing Building Energy and Water Efficiency Ordinance
The City of Los Angeles has implemented the Existing Building Energy and Water Efficiency Ordinance (EBEWE) which requires annual benchmark reports for buildings over 20,000 square feet.
The ordinance is being implemented over three years, with reporting requirements beginning as follows:
The Los Angeles EBEWE ordinance applies to all commercial, residential (including condominiums) and industrial buildings (including parking structures), except as noted below.
Let Pegasus prepare your EBEWE Report. We make it east. We enter the data into Portfolio Manager, interface with the utilities and file your report with the Los Angeles Department of Buildings and Safety.
There are some exceptions from benchmarking. The ordinance shall not apply to:
1. One-and two-family dwellings and related accessory structures;
2. Residential hotels as defined by the California Health and Safety Code;
3. Broadcast antennas, vehicle charging stations, utility pumping stations and treatment facilities;
4. Sound stages and structures used primarily for the production and post-production of motion pictures and television.
The owner of a building shall not be required to file a benchmarking report for a reporting year if any of the following conditions apply:
1. The building did not have a Certificate of Occupancy or Temporary Certificate of Occupancy for the entire calendar year required to be benchmarked;
2. The entire building was not occupied, due to renovation, for the entire calendar year required to be reported;
3. The demolition permit for the entire building has been issues and demolition work has commenced on or before the date the benchmark report is due for that calendar year;
4. The building did not receive energy or water services for the entire calendar year required to be benchmarked.
The ordinance requires reporting on both energy and water consumption. If your report is in compliance with the City of Los Angeles, it will fulfill the requirements of the State of California’s AB 802 ordinance.
For more information about the Los Angeles EBEWE program, call Chuck at 415-497-3090 or visit our LA EBEWE Frequently Asked Questions. You may also go to:
The Department of Building and Safety has an 82-page instruction guide for sending benchmark data, or you can contact Pegasus Energy Solutions. We have the expertise and experience to simplify the task for you.
Beginning in 2019, privately owned buildings more than 20,000 square feet must conduct energy and water audits and retro-commissioning reports every five years. The City wants to know actions being taken to reduce energy and water consumption and the results of these actions. These reports must be prepared by a licensed engineer or architect and can be quite extensive.
For more information, call Chuck at 415-497-3090. Also, the following link provides more information about the Los Angeles EBEWE energy audit and retro-commissioning requirements: https://www.ladbs.org/docs/default-source/publications/ordinances/ord_184674_12-15-16.pdf?sfvrsn=4